Volunteers at Alexandra Hospital are known as Alex Advocates. They help support patient inbound engagement activities in our green healing campus, bringing warmth, hope, and support to our patients and their caregiver, so as to enrich lives in the hospital.
When you sign up to be an Advocate, you may be tasked to help with the following tasks:
- Befriending patients in the wards
- Coordinating caregiver support groups
- Monitoring patients' vital signs, e.g. blood pressure at our outpatients clinics
- Reminding patients to take medication, with support and assistance from our care managers and community healthcare teams
- Carrying out simple exercises with patients
- Engaging patients in activities in the wards, e.g. simple games, scrapbooking
- Escorting patients to appointments / for errands
- Population Health - assisting our nurses with registration, crowd control, survey taking and data entry during health screening events in AH or within the south-western community.
- Accompanying our community nurses for home visits.
- Giving feedback on the AH Patient Activation and Caregiver Activation framework, which measures the level of motivation patients and caregivers have towards taking ownership of their own and others' health, contributing to the designing of future care plans to help patients achieve their personal healthcare goals.
- Giving feedback on the AH Patient Activation and Caregiver Activation framework and help to promote this measurement tool of seeing how motivated patients and caregivers are in taking charge of our own and others' health. After we know each patient's exact level of self-management, we will design a care plan that will best help patients achieve their personal healthcare goals.
- Being advocates of our patient experience, clinical services and programmes, by sitting in at our planning meetings.