Volunteers at Alexandra Hospital are known as Alex Advocates. They help support patient inbound engagement activities in our green healing campus, bringing warmth, hope, and support to our patients and their caregivers, so as to enrich lives in the hospital.
When you sign up to be an Advocate, you may be asked to help with the following tasks:
- Befriending patients in the wards
- Engaging patients in activities in the wards, e.g. simple games, scrapbooking
- Carrying out simple exercises with patients
- Monitoring patients' vital signs, e.g. blood pressure at our outpatient clinics
- Escorting patients to appointments / for errands
- Coordinating caregiver support groups
- Population Health – assisting our nurses with registration, crowd control, taking surveys and data entry during health screening events in AH or within the south-western community.
- Accompanying our community nurses for home visits
- Reminding patients to take their medication, with support and assistance from our care managers and community healthcare teams
- Giving feedback on the AH Patient Activation and Caregiver Activation framework and helping to promote this measurement tool of seeing how motivated patients and caregivers are in taking charge of their own and others' health. After we know each patient's exact level of self-management, we will design a care plan that will best help patients achieve their personal healthcare goals.
- Being advocates of our patient experience, clinical services and programmes, by sitting in at our planning meetings.