Q1. Who can request
for a medical report?
In accordance to the Personal Data Protection Act (No.26, 2012), an application for a medical report can only be made by the patient,
a) except if the patient is
- A Minor;
Please refer to Question 2 for details.
Please refer to Question 3 for details.
- Mentally Incapacitated;
Please refer to Question 4 for details.
b) or if the report is for workmen compensation
- Applying for Work Injury Compensation: Work Injury Compensation reports can be applied by either the patient or the patient's employer. Completed reports will be submitted directly to the Ministry of Manpower. Please refer to Work Injury Compensation for details.
Q2. Who is considered
A minor is someone who is:
- Below 21 years of age
- Not an active National Serviceman
- Not married
- Not a widow or widower
If the patient is a minor, the request for medical report has to be made by the patient's parent or legal guardian.
Q3. How do I request
for the medical report of a deceased patient?
If the patient is deceased,
a) the application has to be made by the Legally Appointed Representative of the Estate. This is either an executor of the deceased's Will who has been granted probate, or a person who has been appointed as an administrator of the deceased's estate by the Singapore Court.
b) In circumstances where the deceased has no Will and no person has been appointed as the Legally Appointed Representative of the Estate, and the application is not related to contentious court proceedings, then the application can be made by the deceased's nearest relative (who is living and possesses the mental capacity to process the application) as prioritised below. The Nearest Relative is the individual listed below, and is the elder or eldest of two or more such individuals:
- First Priority: Spouse
- Second Priority: Child (includes legally adopted child)
- Third Priority: Parent
- Fourth Priority: Sibling
- Fifth Priority: Other Relation
To apply for medical report, please fill in Form A and Form C.
Q4. How do I request
for the medical report of a mentally incapacitated patient?
If the patient lacks mental capacity, and in accordance with Mental Capacity Act (Cap 177A)
a) the application has to be made by the Legally Appointed Representative of the patient, who is a Donee of a Lasting Power of Attorney granted by the patient or by a Court Appointed Deputy.
b) In circumstances where no person has been appointed as the Legally Appointed Representative, then the application has to be made by the patient's main caregiver.
To apply for medical report, please fill in Form A and Form D.
Q5. Why do I need to
pay for medical report?
- A Medical Report is a comprehensive summary of the patient's medical condition. The doctor will need to review the patient's medical records in order to produce an accurate report that meets the needs of the requestor.
- Medical Report is not covered under regular consultation and hospitalization fees. Thus, a fee will be charged to cover the hospital's administrative costs for providing the report.
This is a standard practice across all the Public Healthcare Institutions in Singapore.
Q6. Can I use my
Medisave to pay for the charges of the medical report?
No, Medisave cannot be used to pay for a medical report.
Q7. Can I claim the
medical report fees from my insurance company?
You will need to check with your insurance company.
hospitalization bill is only about $200. How useful is the medical report for
For small claims (<$1,000), you are advised to process the insurance
claim using the Inpatient Discharge Summary/Memorandum/Other Investigation
Results. You should request for a medical report only if the insurance company
requests for it.
Q9. I have been seen
by two different doctors. Can I request for one consolidated medical report?
The two doctors you consulted were for different conditions. It is necessary
for each doctor to write the medical report based on your medical condition and
the treatment each of them rendered. Hence, you will need to request for two
separate medical reports.
Q10. I have visited
the hospital for various reasons. Which medical report should I be requesting?
You are advised to request for the medical report that is relevant to the
purpose of your claim. Do note that each request for a medical report is
Q11. What happens if
the doctor is no longer with the hospital?
We will reassign an appropriate doctor to write the medical report. The
procedure for application follows the normal process
Q12. What happens if
a medical report cannot be processed?
The release of the patient’s medical information is subject to official
approval by the institution. In the event that we are unable to process a
medical report, the requestor will receive a notification and refund of the
payment if the medical report fee has been paid.
Q13. I was a patient at the hospital before June 2018. How can I request for my medical report and/or records?
Alexandra Hospital premises were occupied by different administrations before June 2018. For all medical report requests prior to June 2018, please request for the medical report and/or records through these respective administrations:
- If you are requesting for medical report and/or records prior to July 2010, please approach Khoo Teck Puat Hospital Medical Records Office (click here).
- If you are requesting for medical report and/or records from August 2010 to August 2015, please approach Ng Teng Fong General Hospital Medical Records Office (click here).
- If you are requesting for medical report and/or records from August 2015 to May 2018, please approach Sengkang General Hospital Medical Records Office (click here).
For medical report requests on or after June 2018, please submit your request to us.